Experience working with children and young adults to age 25 with a range of disabilities including:
- Cerebral Palsy.
- Global developmental delay/developmental co-ordination disorder.
- Severe learning difficulties.
- Autistic spectrum disorder.
- Congenital conditions and syndromes.
- Physical disability.
- Muscular Dystrophy.
- Brachial Plexus Lesions including Erb’s Palsy.
- Spina Bifida.
- Down’s Syndrome.
- Sensory integration.
- Associated visual impairments.
- Wrongful birth cases.
Clinical Currency Statement
As at June 2020, I work as an Independent Paediatric Occupational Therapist for an average of 120 hours per month.
Dawn has extensive experience of working within the NHS and private sector with children and young people with mild and complex needs from the ages of 0 to 25. She currently works as a Specialist Paediatric Occupational Therapist within the private sector providing assessment and treatment for children and young people with conditions such as cerebral palsy, genetic disorders and coordination skill difficulties.
Dawn has worked in a variety of settings including a Child Development Centre for children aged 0 to 5 years, special schools, mainstream schools, colleges and within the home environment. She is able to use standardised and observational assessments to establish functional difficulties and identify equipment, adaptations and strategies required to help promote independence. Dawn has the ability to prescribe equipment such as specialist seating, bathing, toileting and moving and handling equipment in order to promote independence and ease the level of care required. She also has experience of recommending minor and major adaptations to the home in order to facilitate access to the environment for the child or young person and ease care for the family.
Dawn works closely with social care and private care agencies whilst recommending appropriate levels of care to help support families. This involves frequently reviewing the child or young person and liaising with outside agencies to ensure that the current package of care is suitable to meet their needs. She also ensures that carers have access to appropriate moving and handling equipment to minimise risk and to promote the child’s or young person’s independence.
She also has experience of Paediatric Case Management, setting up and managing private and agency care packages including recruiting carers and managing care teams. This involved continuously reviewing the child’s requirements to meet their care, therapy, education, social, housing and equipment needs and adjusting the package accordingly. As a Case Manager she has worked closely with solicitors and set up and chaired Multi-Disciplinary Team meetings consisting of the child’s statutory therapists, teaching staff and their independent team of therapists to ensure all parties worked together to meet the child’s needs.
Dawn is passionate about helping children and young people to engage in activities of daily living as independently as possible. She has a special interest in neurological conditions such as cerebral palsy, autistic spectrum disorder and children/young people with sensory processing disorders.
Qualifications and Membership
- BSc (Hons) Occupational Therapy, First Class, St Martin’s College (2009).
- Open College Psychological Perspectives, Blackpool and The Fylde College (2004).
- Advanced Diploma in Anatomy and Physiology, Blackpool and The Fylde College (2003).
- Sensory Integration Practitioner (2016).
- Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC).
- British Association of Occupational Therapists (BAOT).
- Royal College of Occupational Therapists – Specialist Section – Children, Young People and Families (RCOTSS-CYPF).
- Royal College of Occupational Therapists – Specialist Section – Independent Practice (COT-SS-IP).
Jacqueline Webb & Co Ltd
Independent Paediatric Occupational Therapist
Independent Living Solutions
Highly Specialist Paediatric Occupational Therapist
Blackpool Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust, St Annes
Paediatric Occupational Therapist
North Lancashire Primary Care Trust, Longlands Child Development Centre
Wyre Primary Care Trust, Wesham Rehabilitation Unit