- Complex neurological conditions (such as stroke, Multiple Sclerosis, Parkinson’s, Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (ME) and adult Cerebral Palsy.
- Oncology and palliative care.
- Physical disability including complex orthopaedic injuries.
- Multiple Fractures.
- Multi pathology medical management, including arthritic conditions, heart disease, respiratory disease, diabetes, sensory loss, cellulitis, poor skin integrity and pressure management.
- Falls assessment and prevention including osteoporosis screening.
Clinical Currency Statement
As at June 2020, I am engaged in the role of Case Manager for Unite Professionals for an average of 102 hours per month. I also work as an Independent Occupational Therapist for an average of 12 hours per month.
Elaine regularly assesses and treats orthopaedic trauma and elective patients, amputees, oncology and palliative care patients working as an advanced clinical practitioner in the NHS, and as an independent Case Manager in the private sector.
She offers holistic rehabilitation of clients with a wide range of conditions and multiple pathologies. Elaine is highly competent in complex discharge planning, assessment and prescription of specialist equipment, moving and handling, specialist seating, management of deteriorating conditions and complex medical conditions, such as those with physical disease/disability and mental health, psychosocial problems as well as sensory loss.
Elaine favours a functional approach and use of meaningful, graded activity to adapt/rehabilitate/maintain lifestyle within acceptable and assessed risk level management. She is highly competent in the provision of in-depth assessments using standardised assessments, including Assessment of Motor and Process Skills (AMPS). Elaine has experience of using a wide variety of outcome measures to demonstrate service efficiency and client improvement.
She has a special interest in implementing clinical research into practice and am a Panel Member of NICE Adoption & Impact Programme (National Institute of Clinical Excellence) and the training and teaching of other professionals, with excellent feedback and learning outcomes. Elaine is also an experienced Specialist Advisor to the Care Quality Commission and undertake inspections in Community NHS Trusts and Acute NHS Trusts as well as Care Homes for their Adult and Social Care Inspection Teams.
Prior to this Elaine worked at Newcare Projects Ltd where she completed assessments for nursing home residency and rehabilitation, actively managing chronic and acute conditions. She specialised in dementia and physical conditions which had become too severe and difficult to be managed in the domiciliary setting. Elaine was responsible for overseeing therapy and activities across two sites, assessing and providing specialist equipment including seating and posture management, and completing falls and moving and handling champion management projects. She trained in Train the Trainer Moving and Handling in 2015.
In previous roles, Elaine has worked in the community/domiciliary care, care homes, clinics, prisons and hospice settings, in both the NHS and Social Services. Her areas of practise include Specialist Falls Assessment and Management, Rehabilitation in the Community, Discharge Planning, Rapid Response, Intermediate Care, Oncology and Palliative Care and Specialist Care Home Occupational Therapist.
Qualifications and Membership
- BSc (Hons) 2:1 Occupational Therapy, The University of Liverpool (1999).
- The University of Liverpool, Access to Occupational Therapy Course (1996).
- Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC).
- British Association of Occupational Therapists (BAOT).
- Royal College of Occupational Therapists – Specialist Section – Orthopaedic (RCOTSS-IP).
- Case Management Society UK (CMSUK).
Jacqueline Webb & Co Ltd
Unite Professionals Ltd
Band 7 Occupational Therapist, Orthopaedics
NHS Bank at Warrington and Halton Foundation Trust
Trauma and Orthopaedics at Warrington and Halton NHS Foundation Trust
Group Head Occupational Therapist
Newcare Projects Ltd
Independent Occupational Therapist
Founder and owner of Abilize Occupational Therapy Service
Senior Occupational Therapist
Enablement Occupational Therapist
Enablement Service for Physically Disabled Adults
Rotational basic grade
- 2015: Presentation for research in ‘Managing Distressing Symptoms of Advanced Dementia with Specialist Seating’, 4th Horatio Festival of Psychiatric Nursing, Canada.
- 2009: Poster presentation at the World Congress Oncology and Palliative Care for ‘Stairway to Heaven’.
- June 2000: Key speaker and organiser of a major tripartite conference, hosted by The Hope Hospital, COT and The Cochrane Collaboration. Presented on ‘The Cochrane Collaboration and Occupational Therapy: An Emerging Partnership, which was later published in the British Journal of Occupational Therapy.
- 2002: My clinical work with post-stroke clients featured in the Stroke Association Guide for Good Practice.